Monday, October 27, 2008

Feasting upon the Spirit!

Once again it seems our weekend was full, with trying to get to the Temple and then to the Ward Harvest Feastival, which we were paritially in charge of, being on the activities committee. We had planned to try and get to the temple right after I got home from work on Saturday morning, but due to a very long work schedule Friday, working all but a couple of hours, when I got home shortly after 6am, I crashed and did not wake up till almost noon. Darin and I were still determined to get to the temple and do inititories even though we had to be to the Stake Center by 3:30 to set up for our ward Halloween party.

We had decided that this week we were going to do 10 names no matter what, well when I got back to inititories they were very busy and only wanted to give me 5 names at a time, which meant that when I got done I would have to be put at the end of the line and wait for others to go before me. Well I got my first 5 names done and got put back in line for another 5 names, during the time I was waiting, I started reading from the Doctrine and Covenants in section 122, it seemed the spirit directed me to this chapter and I found myself caught up in a lesson from the Lord given to the Prophet Joseph Smith. It taught me much about what the Lord expects us to endure in life to be worthy of him, it also taught me that we should never complain when we have trails to go through or feel like that means that we have done something wrong or that we are not worth it, after all who descended below them all, but our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ! After about 30 minutes waiting I started to worry that Darin would be done way before me, since generally he can do 10 names in a hour and it had already been an hour and a half and I hadn't even started my last 5 names, it was 2:30 and we had to drive back to Kaysville and be to the Stake Center by 3:30, so I decided not to do my last 5 names, well I came out to the waiting area and Darin was not there yet, I waited for a long time and started to feel bad realizing two things, first we had committed to do 10 names and I should have followed through and secondly since being my husband he had directed me to do 5 names and I should have had the faith to do it and not to worry about the time, this was a great lesson to me, because as it turned out he was finished about 2pm, had I stayed and done my other 5 names I would have been out only a few minutes later then him.

We did not make it to the Stake Center by 3:30 but closer to 4 and all was well there as we decorated and set up for the carnival part of the activity, we were in charge of a ring toss that involved throwing rubber rings over the top of 2 liter bottles of soda, if you ringed one you won it. We had a wonderful time running that booth throughout the night and visiting with the ward members, afterwards I had to get ready and head for work to do my graveyard shift.

I love Sundays, but getting off of work at 8am (generally the staff that relieves me comes in early so I can be gone at least by 7, but not today, I had to work till 8) and having our meetings start at 9am can be a challenge, mainly because I have a hard time staying awake through Sacrament meeting. Luckily because I teach Primary I don't have a problem that last 2 hours of meetings. It seems to me that every Sunday it seems that all the lessons fit so well together! Today we learned about praying through Christ and the sacrament, these two things fit very well together. I am always amazed at how smart my 9 year olds are in my class and I am sure I learn as much from them as they do from me.

After church as we were driving home we passed a couple in the wards house where the husband is bedridden and the wife pretty much is having to care for him by herself, my mother in law, kept a watchful eye on this sister and would check in on her and her husband almost daily, I am ashamed to say though that since mom and dad have been gone on their mission this last year we have only checked in on them maybe 3 or 4 times. Today as we were passing I said to Darin we needed to go visit them, he quickly pulled into their driveway and we got out and went in to see them. As we came in a couple of Priest were leaving from bringing the sacrament into them, we were happy to see that, but we noticed that Sis. Shoemaker had been crying, as we visited with her we found out that her husband had been just sleeping for the last couple of days and had not been really waking up, she was worried that he was going to pass on soon, mostly we could tell she was just lonely, I am grateful that we listened to the spirit which prompted us to stop and can't help but wonder how many times I have ignored that spirit for my own selfish needs, I pray that I will be more aware of the spirit and act on it's promptings, so that I am not the cause of lonliness in the future.

All in all this was a wonderful weekend and our lives were blessed!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds like it was an awesome weekend! Glad to hear about it!

Kerstin said...

I am glad you had yeat another nice weekend, it sounds much better then mine.