Friday, November 21, 2008

Fan or Foe?

An interesting thing happened in September shortly after we got our new car, it was still hot and we had decided to take a drive up the canyon to do some 4-wheeling, well we forgot to take some hats and since we didn't want to sunburn our heads (espeically Darin he is bald on top) we decided we needed to buy some hats, well we were already close to the turnoff for the canyon and we did not want to back track, we needed gas anyway so we stopped at a Chevron and to our great surprise and pleasure they had some hats, unfortuneately though they only had these two styles and colors, off white Y and black Utes. I didn't mind the white, but since Darin uses his hats a lot for work and sweats a lot we decided to buy one of each.

We have had a great time going places each wearing their hat, you would not believe the comments, people can't believe that we could be married and be fans of competitive teams, well the thing is we are both BYU fans, but the fact of the matter is they are only hats. We had a lot of fun yesterday because Darin could not find the BYU hat (of course this week we would wear BYU) and we had to go out, so he put on the Ute hat and ventured to Dan's (grocery store) and DI, of course people asked about the hat and we admitted that we were BYU fans, but it is interesting to see how heated people can get over this rivalry especially here in Utah, even in Sunday School the day after the game, yes arguements have insued.

The thing is mine and Darin's families are all die hard BYU fans especially the one who graduated from the U, we also find it interesting to note that the Utes President graduated from the Y and the Y's President graduated from the U. Football is a lot of fun and while it would be beyond awesome if the Y could win this game and move way up in the poles it is still just a game! With that said I'd like to say GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COUGARS!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Theresa said...

haha. we had a devotional with the director of institute at the U for work and he pointed out that they like to keep up a fun poke and jab with the byu institute and so they were going to send them a picture with the first presidency all out watching the U of U parade and waving etc. The fact of the matter is that the first presidency all graduated from the U,.. (I don't remember if it's the current first presidency or the last one) but anyway in the spirit of christlike feelings they ended up not sending the clipping from the paper, but it was a fun joke anyway and they'd already gotten the humor out of it. Personally I really like both schools. I have a ton of respect for the education standard at the U and have found myself impressed overtime from what I've heard. Of course if there's ever a rivalry I'm on BYU's side because I'm a coug through and through,.. but I wouldn't think twice about going to the U if I ever needed more schooling and had some reason for not doing it at the Y. location or something. I think they have really good programs there from everything I've heard. Maybe I'm speaking blaspheme, but anyway I thought the story from the U institute director was funny. (I did happen to wear my class of 2006 graduation shirt when we went over to the U of U campus so I was showing my loyalties,.. hehe..no worries)

Theresa said...

yikes! sorry for the post within a post! I didn't realize my comment was so long.

Kerstin said...

I am neither a fan of the Y or the U. Go Wolf Pack!! Go Irish!!

Shayla said...

That's a funny story about the hats! I'm just about to start streaming the game via KSL. Go Cougars!

BDN said...

The game was sad, but next year will be awesome, even though I won't be able to witness it. :)