Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

I feel a little embarrassed to so slow getting my Thanksgiving Post posted, but better late then never. I have had a very busy last week between finishing up on some presents that had to be sent off and preparing for Thanksgiving I have not had much time to write. The week started when after work last Monday we drove up to Rexburg and picked Cynthia and Joe up for the week, then the next two days were spent getting ready for the kids to arrive and working along with all the preparing of food that goes along with the Holiday.

I don't think I ever quite realized before how much work it was to prepare a complete Thanksgiving Dinner by yourself before, in the past we were always combining our plans with either the extended family or friends, thus sharing the work in preparing the meal. Luckily for me I was able to cook a lot at work and Cynthia was willing to help so she could learn for herself.

The boys from Vegas showed up on Wednesday at about 5pm, it was great seeing them and they were pretty tired so we had dinner and played a couple of games before we headed off for work. It was nice feeling like we had a family instead of being just an old single couple, I will say though you forget how much time is spent in dish clean up, food preparation, and just doing the basic family things like scripture study and prayers, I can honestly say there was never a dull moment.

For Thanksgiving we were blessed to not only have our children there, but also one of the boys from work and Darin's niece Leila and her husband Josh, we really had a nice time eating and playing games, we actually were able to start eating at about 1pm and then slowed down for the night after game playing, video watching and visiting at about 10pm, it was very nice and I was grateful not to have to go to work that night because I had not slept for the two days before.

On Friday I had totally planned on venturing out on Black Friday at 3:30 in the morning, but I didn't have the ads, so had to rely on the internet which was slow and tedious to go through, with small pictures and discriptions. I finallly got to bed at about 11pm and had set my alarm for the appointed time, well I woke to the alarming finding I had a horrible head ache, when I got up to use the rest room I found that it was raining also, I decided that nothing was worth venturing out in those conditions. Instead I got up at 8:30 woke the kids that had planned on going with me and we made it to Kohl's by about 9 or so, we were able to find everything that we had came for and I got into line, then lines were long, which is even worse at 3:30 in the morning so after about 30 minutes in line I call Benji to come pick CC and Timmy up so they could go get ready for the Temple. I was finally checked out by 11 and headed home with my treasures. Later that afternoon we got to Old Navy whose ad went all day.

Joe had family names to be baptized for so the family went down to the Bountiful Temple at noon on Friday to do those, it was a good opportunity for Benji, Timmy, CC, Joe and Darin to do Temple work together, we look forward to a year from now when all the boys will be able to go and so we all will be able to go inside. I stayed outside with Luke and Logan, we had a good time.

Saturday was spent visiting extended family in Utah County and then home to play more games, I had to go to work so it was sad to leave the family at 9:30 to do so. All in all it was an excellent day though.

Sunday all stayed for Church, Matt showed up at lunch and then after lunch he and Nate, CC and Joe headed home, shortly thereafter Benji, Timmy and Logan head home and we were blessed to keep Luke for track break. We were very blessed indeed this holiday! We missed the rest of our children, but were happy to see they had a Blessed Thanksgiving theirselves.




4 comments:

Kerstin said...

It sounds like you all had a lot of fun. I have been waiting for this post so thank you for posting :).

Theresa said...

Happy thanksgiving. I thought of you guys as we headed up to ogden for thanksgiving this year. I'm glad it went well even with the extra prep and cleaning. I always forget how hard it is to clean up afterwards too until I'm too stuffed to want to move. ha!

Cynthia said...

Twas a great week indeed!

Shayla said...

Reading your post brought back memories of last year's Thanksgiving. It was a lot of fun staying up late and playing games. And eating yummy leftovers. And of course Black Friday shopping. I'm glad you were able to get everything you wanted even though you didn't get out early. My mom and I went to Kohls around 10 and I got ALMOST everything I wanted. We stood in line for 50 minutes.

THANK YOU for the awesome Christmas presents for the boys. I'm going to wrap them tonight. And thanks especially for the wonderful family gift. I can tell a lot of time (and talent!) went into it and we absolutely love it. Thank you!