Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Some thoughts on Family, Religion and Country

It seems that these last few weeks a lot of heated discussions have come about regarding these elections, some of the things that I have noticed with mixed emotions have been the division among not only family members but church members alike on topics that our Prophet has made a stand on and has made it clear that there is no debating the issue. I am aware that part of Heavenly Father's plan is that we are allowed our free agency and so difference of opinions is not only natural but necessary, but as members of the church does that agency include disagreeing with a Prophet of the Lord? I admit that sometimes I don't fully understand why the Lord gives certain counsel, but I can promise you this, when I have questioned prayerfully and with faith, the Lord has ALWAYS given me the answer. The fact that these events are happening does not surprise me, because the scriptures have prophesied our day, but it does sadden my heart to see so many of the ones I love be caught in the adversaries snares. I am grateful for the wonderful examples in family and friends who have stood tall and honored our Lord through sustaining our Living Prophet, and I testify in these latter days that is the ONLY way we will survive the storm. I don't know where our country is headed with so much political uncertainty, but I do know that if we stay true to the gospel and stay worthy of the covenants that we have made we have no need to fear. I would also like to thank those faithful saints in California who made an effort to follow the prophet and showed that we really can make a difference by supporting and voting to restore the definition of Marriage on the law books of California to be between a man and a women. With that said I am proud to be an american where the voice of the people can still be heard.

9 comments:

Kerstin said...

I completely agree. I also can't judge others who make decisions that I think are wrong though, because I know that I am far from following the prophet all the time.

The Watts said...

Very true, but we are getting to a time when we can not afford not to follow him, whether it is being out of debit or having our food storage, which are our two greatest challenges right now.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the great words Momma!

Kerstin said...

I know what you mean. But what I mean is that it is not our place to judge. We can judge for ourselves what we will do, who will accociate with and such. As for following the prophet I agree we need to do it, but I know I mess up, I make mistakes, I make bad judgement calls sometimes,that is part of being human.

Kerstin said...

I don't know if what I truly mean is comming out in my comments basically my point is I am glad that I don't have to judge others for their decisions actions and while I may come up short sometimes I need to try to make right decisions and I need to be sure to teach my children right from wrong.

The Watts said...

I totally understand what you are saying and I don't think when I say that we need to follow the prophet or that I am sad when those that I love aren't following the prophet that I am judging, thankfully Heavenly Father's plan has given us an Atonement and we all have the opportunitiy to use it in our lives, on the flip side we need to be baring our Testimonines of the truth and because we do so does not mean we are judging, my boss, I love dearly and he has chosen an alternative life style, I do not judge him, but I also can not accept that life style as one that I condon, it is difficult at times because those we love do make wrong choices at times, that doesn't mean we judge them and it certainly doesn't mean we stop loving them.

Kerstin said...

I guess my point wasn't really clear, oh well it wouldn't be the first time. We are on the same page, I'll just leave it at that.

Jodi Jean said...

what a well written post. things certainly have been interesting here in cali, especially within the discussions of family -- whom i still love and respect their decision. we all have our agency.

thankfully prop 8 passed. i said i prayer before i marked my ballot, and the most peaceful feeling came over me. i knew from then that it would pass ... and it did.

the battle was won, but the war is FAR from over --- they have been protesting in front of the LA temple.

Jodi Jean said...

thanks for the comments ... i think both of my kids look alot like my side. aidan totally has scott's smile. i can't wait to see how finley's features look as she matures.