Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Talented Daughter-in-law

As I have been reading blogs lately I have noticed a few about talents or should I say the lack of talents and I realized that often times we don't see our talents as well as others do. As mothers and wives I think at times we need a reminder from those who see our talents for us to recognize them (not to say father's and husband's don't need strokes, I just think they aren't as hard on themselves as women are). I have One Very Beautiful and Very Talented daughter-in-law and I would like to mention some of the many talents that I have noticed in her over the last couple of years.


Shayla

1. Although she will claim that she is not crafty, she has the most beautifully decorated home, this is an amazing talent, and as far as crafts go, I have never seen one she has tried that hasn't turned out.

2. She is a loving and patient mother, not once have I heard her raise her voice at one of her 3 children (that would include Brent)

3. She has a talent for humor, while I love my son Brent dearly, anyone who knows him knows he can be very silly at times, Shayla knows how to enjoy the humor and give it right back at him.

4. She is a loving and kind person, I have never heard a negative word come out of her mouth in regards to another person.

5. She plays the piano masterfully ( a talent I have always longed for)

6. She is perhaps the smartest person I know, but has a way of making everyone else feel just as smart as her.

7. She has a talent for blogging, there are always interesting and fun things to read on her blog.

8. She has a talent for shopping, one of my best shopping trips was last year after Christmas with Shayla and Cynthia, we had a blast (or at least I did)

9. She has a talent for throwing parties, just like her skills in decorating she can put together an awesome party, whether it is a bridle shower, Birthday party or whatever.

10. She has a talent of faith, I have watched over the past couple of years, both Shayla and Brent face some challenges, but they have remained optimistic, faithful and upbeat through them all, whether it was a child's health, a move, the economy or any other test they have came up against.

Look for my future posts on Kerstin and Cynthia and their many talents

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I like these posts. I think it's great that you're focusing on the talents of others. And I would have to agree with everyone of those you mentioned of Shayla's talents.

I think it's great to think about other's talents as long as we're not comparing because like you said,.. often we just focus on the things that they do well that we don't do so well but we have to remember that like the people we see talents in,.. others see similar talents in us. Love you.

Kerstin said...

I agree!! I think that Shayla is awesome and so talented and I am so glad that Brent married her!

Shayla said...

Thank you for this. You are so sweet. This really made my day.

(note: if you lived in the same house as us, you probably wouldn't have included #2 and #4...but your including them has made me want to do better!)

Theresa said...

what a talent to not let #2 and #4 leave the house. I think I often let those come with me outside and in public. I'll have to work on that.