Monday, May 11, 2009

What it means to me to be a Mother

I was sitting there during Sacrament Meeting while they were giving talks about Motherhood thinking about what it means to me to be a Mom. I use to think that Mother's Day was kind of a depressing day, a day where all of the areas that you fell short in were pointed out and a reminder that you could never measure up, but recently in the past few years I have learned a greater lesson about Mother's Day and it has become more of a sacred day for me and for some odd reason I don't really feel like I don't measure up, but instead I just feel Extremely Blessed.

This is what I realized about Mother's Day (at least from a Mother's point of view), it is not a day to worship Mother's, but to find gratitude for not only having Mother's but for being Mother's, when I started thinking of all the reasons I am gratiful to be a mother (mostly my incredible kids), I started felling less sorry for myself and instead realized how incredibly Blessed I have been to be a Mother to the most wonderful children on earth. Over the years my children have taught me more about the Savior and my Heavenly Father then I could possibly learn on my own, and I don't just mean because I can relate more to him and how he loves me. I have had children who from a very young age taught me simple lessons of faith and trust in the Lord and while most children would use some of the things I have put them through as an excuse to turn away from God, they have been an example of true faith in God holding to the rod and setting an example of true believers. Now I realize that Heavenly Father had everything to do with placing these wonderful spirits in my home and because of that I would like to express my gratitude to him for Blessing me with the children that I have.

With that said, I will say I am not perfect and at times I find myself feeling sorry for myself for being so far away from them and not being able to spend as much time with them as I like and I ache for them in ways I never knew was possible, but I have been blessed with the time I do have with them and I know that they all love me and for this I am immensely grateful.

So for this Mother's Day I would like to pay a tribute to the reason I am a Mother, MY CHILDREN!!!!! I love you guys!

5 comments:

Kerstin said...

I also felt very blessed this Mother's Day. I was sitting in Relief Society behind a friend of mine who was in the Primary Presidency with me and as we listened to the lesson on Mothers I could tell that she was crying. This lady is such a great woman, I am pretty sure she is in her mid 30's, and she has been unable to have any children yet. I have another friend out here who has also been going through the same thing and my hurt for them yesterday because they would be the best mothers, and then I realized that I already had the one Mother's Day gift that I am sure they wake up every Mother's Day (if not everyday)wishing they had, children.

The Watts said...

Amen to that Kerstin, very well said!

Cynthia said...

Mom, that was just so sweet! It made me tear up! You're an incredible mother! We wouldn't be as cool as we are without you!!!

Shayla said...

This was a great post. I only wish I had read it BEFORE Mother's Day so that I would have thought to focus more on my blessing of motherhood. I actually had a pretty crummy "woe is me" day on Sunday (both boys were sick). I wish I would have had a better attitude and had taken the time to reflect on the gift that I've been given. Thanks for the reminder.

Now, regarding the photo..."One of these things is not like the other..." Sorry to crash the sibling picture. :)

The Watts said...

I don't believe you crashed anything, if Jared had been in town for the picture he would have been included, you are one of the family and only compliment anything good about them!