Friday, February 13, 2009

Finding the Silver Lining!

This last month I have been blessed with experiencing some fairly interesting and stressful things at work and have been doing a lot of soul searching as to why? I think in one of my recent posts I mentioned that I had had my schedules changed the same week for both jobs, what this did was basically put me working 6 days a week and having virtually no time during those days with my sweet husband except enough time Monday - Friday to maybe have breakfast and say prayers. What I didn't mention was that with his parents coming home in about 3 1/2 weeks, we had been praying and trying to decide what we were going to do when they get home, we have fasted and prayed and both have came up with the feeling that we definately need to move out and move some distance away and the place we felt inspired to do so is the Provo/Orem area. The problem is, with the economy the way it is, finding new jobs (difficult being so far away and having virtually no waking hours to do so) and finding the time to move our stuff. I have felt rather overwhelmed and even have broken down in tears lately (almost daily) which had brought me to the point of asking myself what is it the Lord wants me to learn from this experience? In one of my jobs my manager has decided to step down and there has been a great deal of pressure for me to take on her job, well this last week while she was out of town I have been given the opportunity to fill in for her while she has been on vacation (what an experience). This is what I have come up with:
1. The Lord wants me to trust him and do as he asks
2. The Lord wants me to realize that I do not have to over-work myself to make others happy
3. No amount of money is worth taking me away from my family
4. When you get to the point where I am there is nothing to lose from standing up for myself and thus I refuse to be threatened or walked on at work anymore
5. A dollar more and hour ($9.25) is no where near enough to take on a Manager position.

10 comments:

Theresa said...

nice! :) I agree about the extra dollar an hour not being worth the added stress of manager. you know there is a mental institute around these parts that always needs workers don't they? I think they're the ones that always help out with that one haunted house. I don't know much about it. I'm sure you will find the right job for you though. One lady I know works as a school cook. The schools around here might appreciate more permanent positions given that they are often filled by temporary college students that leave as soon as they have a baby or their husbands finish school. that might be a viable option I don't know. What have you found so far in your search?

Kerstin said...

I am sorry about all the stress, I hope that you are able to find jobs quickly in Provo and that things can go smoothly.

Theresa said...

you know I get a job list once a week for jobs at byu and there's always a catering position or two open. have you thought about working for byu or UVSC?

Theresa said...

sign up for their weekly job list if you like. there's a position as a lab manager in the home & family major you might be interested in. it's only part time, but it might be worth it. click here I honestly don't know anything about your skillset though,..but this particular lab position has been open for a while now which tells me they might be having trouble filling it. I don't know. maybe they've be willing to take someone that doesn't have all of the pre-reqs.

Theresa said...

here's uvu's lists. click here

Theresa said...

let me know if you'd like any help with job search and what kind of job you're looking for. I might be able to help find something. :) I love looking for jobs and thinking outside the box.

The Watts said...

Theresa, any help is GREATLY appreciated, right now we are happy to hear about anything! We started going through the indeed site listing but it is a VERY tedious and time consuming process and unfortuneately time is something we don't have much of

Theresa said...

i've heard indeed is a good site. give me some more details about what type of skillsets you have and what types of jobs you're looking for and I'll see what I can dig up. let's email. so we don't fill up your comments more than I already have. haha.

Shayla said...

I'd also be willing to do some research if you email me kind of what you (and Darin) are looking for.

Cynthia said...

You sure are right. It will be a wonderful experience. And once you live down there the boys will be a little bit closer and you'll get to see much more family! We miss you and happy v-day!